Friday, March 14, 2008

The End of Print Media

As you may have noticed, I now have a Google Adsense account. If you know what it is, you're probably annoyed. If you don't, then I'll tell you.

Google adsense is an application that one can add to their blog or website that pays the website's owner for clicks and/or views. So if you host a blog that gets a thousand hits a day, you might actually profit from Google Adsense. I believe that the payout is somewhere around $7 per thousand views, but I'm not sure. I do know that payments can range from nothing to thousands of dollars a month..

If you consider that advertising is essentially the funding for all media, and then factor in the printing costs for magazines and newspapers, it's easy to do the math. The internet is cheaper. Way cheaper.

If you haven't noticed already, all mediums are starting to shift towards the internet. People are actually spending more time on the internet than watching TV. (I know I do) The internet is too great a location for advertisers to ignore. I am inclined to believe that print media will suffer a lot in the coming years. Who needs a newspaper when you can go on to CNN.com? Perezhilton.com has all of the tabloid lovers. Anything you can find on the newstands, you can probably find on a blog or a website.

3 comments:

----t h rive---- said...

I tend to agree.

I've always meant to write a post on its effect on the paper/pulp industry, but I don't have the guts to do too much guesswork. My first guess is that, overall, the industry HAS already felt the damage of the internet. Second, that it will continue to feel damage. That's about all, which is why I don't bother to write a whole post on it.


p.s. - re Your last post I've downloaded the whole S1 of Breaking Bad: so far so good.

Answer said...

The job market of the future is going to be cut throat.

john said...

Newspapers also following new trends in circulation in order to increase their readers. There are new technology mediums are emerge to circulate the print editions and these mediums worked well for the industry. Companies like Pressmart Media helping the print publishers to distribute over the new technology mediums. I think these kinds of services will really increase the revenues.